Place: Upper Lake Trail- Glendalough National Park

Safe Spaces Virtual Tour Field Note
Place: Glendalough National Park – Upper Lake Trail
Date 6/10/2026
Troy Alan Cox

One-sentence first impression:

Although listed as the Upper Lake, which implies, at least to a Westerner, that it's at a higher elevation than the Lower Lake, it's actually just a term for being farther away. It is worth the extra walk past the Lower Lake, as it is an entirely different experience.

Upon arriving at the Upper Lake, I was instantly aware of what a different experience I was having than the calm, serene walk around the Lower Lake. The Upper Lake shore is more like a beach. I arrived at 11:00 in the morning, and there were already families with young children playing in the cool, clear mountain water. Since the car park is right adjacent to the lake, it's a great day trip for people to have a picnic or a family outing. I instantly felt a full-body sigh of relaxation as I gazed at the deep blue waters of this much larger and almost still lake, surrounded by breathtaking vertical mountains and a long path to the right of the lake of old-growth trees in a forest setting.

When facing the lake, on the left is the vertical mountain pathway to the waterfall, and on the right is a long blue path along soft gravel, completely ensconced in tall green trees. At the end of the lake is the valley created by the two mountains that converge in the middle. The grandeur of nature creates an architectural feeling of being isolated from the world and nestled in a sacred place that must rarely occur in nature. The thrusting walls of cliff and tree create a womb-like feeling, as if one is being held by the arms of Mother Nature. I rarely have experienced this feeling in mountainous areas. Usually, for myself, I only sense this feeling at the ocean.

The shades of evergreen on the forest trees and undergrowth to the right contrast with the deep dark blue of the lake in a visually striking manner that somehow creates a congruency of colors flowing together in a fluid way. The granite stone beach, unlike an ocean beach but filled with rock, has a pristine white quality yet hearkens reverence, reminding you that its sharp pebbles were created by thousands of years of erosion from the stately mountains. At the far end of the lake, the woods abruptly end, and the thrusting mountain is littered with giant, seemingly black boulders cut at angles rather than rounded, some the size of houses. To the left is a slow-sloping hill with the river from the waterfall cutting through it, creating a softer feeling as the sound of rushing water soothes what must be a harsh environment in the winter. The children playing and sometimes screaming bring life to what might otherwise be a place of silent reverence.

The majesty of this particular junction of different geological features created a feeling of peace and calm within me while at the same time inspiring a silencing awe. Were it not for the valley floor behind me being green and flat, the visually striking vista of the Upper Lake could have created a claustrophobic feeling of being swallowed whole by the two mountains on either side. But standing and looking at the Upper Lake, I could feel the flatlands of the valley and Lower Lake behind me holding me in a way that made me feel welcomed and supported.

If one did not know they had a well-established exit route either back through the valley or to the car park, I could see someone becoming overwhelmed by the thrusting mountains on either side and ahead, creating a claustrophobic feeling. While the children playing created a sense of playfulness, they would often scream at full volume or cry for their mothers, either from the sharp rocks beneath their feet or the icy cold water, which could create overstimulation. While I wanted to sit beneath the trees in the shady spot I found, the waves of people coming and going from the adjacent car park eventually became overstimulating for my nervous system.

Architecturally, I learned that if there is a sharp vertical wall on one side, the opposite side should have a slow, gradual rise. If there are two monolithic vertical structures on either side, the distance beyond the viewer should have openness, light, and a well-established exit route behind.

As I left, I felt a type of humorous joy at the magnificence of nature and how the planet has created places of sanctuary entirely of its own accord without needing the interaction of mankind. I felt this place of stunning beauty and serene nature existed long before humans discovered it and perhaps will continue to exist for eons after the moment I stood upon the shore of the Upper Lake and offered a prayer of gratitude to Mother Nature.

When designing a space based upon the feeling of standing at the shore of the Upper Lake, I envision deep azure shades of blue layered upon one another below a space, whether through flooring or tile, with slowly retreating greenery on one side, either through glass overlooking a garden or through a gently stepping wall, balanced on the opposite side by a solid stone wall.

I felt safe in this space because the valley was wide, gradually narrowing in the distance, and knowing the car park was nearby gave me the reassurance that people were close without encroaching. The combination of blues, greens, slate, granite, and a white-clouded sky felt almost otherworldly.

Unfortunately, in modern times, I would feel safer knowing there was a dedicated forestry staff member or security officer occasionally walking through and surveying the area. It felt as though this space could become a free-for-all for individuals with subversive motivations.

I would highly recommend this space for sensitive or neurologically challenged individuals if they brought noise-canceling headphones should the sounds of crowds become too much. I especially recommend the blue path to the right of the lake, beyond the car park. It is long, flat, extremely wide, covered in soft gravel, and enveloped beneath fifty-foot trees, creating one of the most calming walks I experienced before reaching the Miners' Village.

This lake, the Upper Lake, has a unique feeling that I haven't found anywhere else on this trip. I could imagine leaving the hustle and bustle of Dublin to come to this sacred place for the day simply to reset and refresh my nervous system through its serenity. I will forever close my eyes and picture the blue that I cannot sufficiently describe in the color of the lake and how it mingled with the surrounding green forest, causing me to take a full-body sigh and feel neurologically restored. Would I want to stay here all the time? No. Sometimes the neurological effect of this much intense nature can become overwhelming. Would I visit the lake again? Absolutely. If possible, I would simply drive to the shore rather than walk from the information center.

— Troy Cox

The Safe Spaces Project

Utilizing Heritage Refuge Design

Heritage Refuge Design identifies spaces where historic materials, preserved craftsmanship, protective massing, natural light, and elevated spatial separation create a felt sense of continuity, shelter, and nervous-system safety.

Heritage Refuge Design

Old bones. Warm materials. Protective elevation. Restored history. Sanctuary for the nervous system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safe Spaces Virtual Tour Field Note: Spinc Trail Glendalough National Park – (High Intensity) 1,650 feet

Tragedy Is Not the Teacher

How Do I Hear?Hearing as a Highly Sensitive Individual