Safe Spaces Field NotesGlendalough National Park – Lower Lake Trail
Safe Spaces Field Notes
Glendalough National Park – Lower Lake Trail
By Troy Alan Cox
Billed as an easy trail, it's definitely more than a casual stroll, with some wayfinding confusion and a few challenging hills.
The first challenge wasn't physical. It was orientation.
The trail is marked as a green trail; however, the green route splits to go either to the Upper Lake, which is a much more ambitious hike, or down to the Lower Lake. At the first fork in the road, it is not clearly distinguished which direction keeps a hiker on the Lower Lake trail.
The walk itself was challenging but, with plenty of opportunities to stop and rest, felt invigorating and took a little over an hour to complete. I finished feeling content but more physically challenged than I had expected.
Although maps are posted at the visitor center, physical maps are no longer handed out. I found it surprisingly difficult to orient myself using the digital map alone. What begins as the easy green walking trail can easily mislead hikers toward the Upper Lake. I eventually relied on Google AI to confirm I was heading toward the Lower Lake because I simply was not prepared for the larger hike.
Once I overcame this initial uncertainty, the path appeared to lead away from the lake before gently curving back toward it. That early confusion created unnecessary stress in what otherwise became a wonderfully calming experience.
The boardwalk crossing the marshes immediately changed the feeling of the walk. Its wide construction and protective railings created a sense of safety while crossing the boggy wetlands. Walking past sheep quietly grazing in the fields, the nervous system naturally began to settle.
After passing the overlook, the trail enters a canopy of trees that covers nearly three-quarters of the walk. The cool mountain air, occasional breeze across the water, and shifting light through the leaves created a deeply calming environment.
Once I knew I was on the correct path, I never
Comments
Post a Comment